Sailing BoatsBlue Water CruisersWesterlyMerlin
Very well-maintained, lightly used being a comfortable and economical family cruiser with twin bilge keels - perfect for the shoal waters on the East Coast of England.
For 15 years the Vendor has owned this Westerly Merlin during which time it has been part of the family. Taken out of the water every winter this boat benefits from much expenditure over the years: a new diesel engine in 2007 with only about 750 hours since; new Jekyll sails in 2010 and new standing rigging in 2008. All these and much more are listed in 'Chronology'.
Westerly yachts introduced the Merlin class in 1984 and their ﬁrst with an aft double berth quarter cabin. Strongly built (Lloyd's Certiﬁed) with spacious and attractive accommodation due to the interior joinery including a lovely holly and ash cabin sole. In addition there is excellent velour upholstery so the boat's interior seems much younger than the age of the hull. This proven yacht has good sailing performance so Unwinding II makes an ideal family cruiser.
'Unwinding II' benefits from twin bilge keels which are well suited to the shoal waters of the East Coast. Her current owners have based her on the river Deben for the last 15 years and have happy memories sailing around the local coastline and rivers of Suffolk and Essex.
Only for sale as the Vendors have bought a bigger yacht to do more extensive cruising.
Broker's Comments. With only two owners from new Unwinding II has benefitted from regular equipment updates and/or replacements. She presents well with a delightful interior - there is much charm and character aboard this neat and tidy yacht. Ready to use and enjoy, complete with warps and fenders.
Chronology: care, maintenance and upgrades by current owner
The following gives an appreciation of the cared-for nature of this 1985 Westerly Merlin - Special Edition in the Vendor's 15 year ownership after purchase in 2005:
* 2007 New Standing rigging
* 2007 New Nanni 3.75HE 21HP marine engine (freshwater closed-circuit cooling)
* 2007 New 3 bladed propeller
* 2010 New Jeckell's mainsail in premium Marblehead woven Dacron and lightly used since. (Slab reefing with 3 reefing points and 2 reefing lines running to cockpit jammers with ram’s horn at mast)
* 2010 New Jeckells furling genoa in premium Marblehead woven Dacron with UV strip and lightly used since
* 2010 New mainsail cover in burgundy
* 2010 New dodgers with yacht name
* 2010 New sprayhood with clear panels and grab rail
* 2016 New vision panels to spray hood
* 2017 New acetal cutlass bearing
* 2018 New engine battery
* 2020 The cast iron bilge ballast keels grit blasted and re-primed by Larkmans of Woodbridge
* 2020 Running rigging replaced (Cruising Dyneema).
More sailing information
The following is additional sailing-related data about Unwinding II, a cared-for Westerly Merlin Special Edition:
* Deck and superstructure in white with grey non-slip panels to deck, coachroof, cockpit coamings and lockers
* Transom hung rudder with tiller steering
* Self-draining cockpit
* Fractional sloop rig
* Silver anodised aluminium alloy mast: Boom and spinnaker pole by Kemp
* Deck stepped mast
* Headsail furling system
* Control lines lead aft to cockpit via Spinlock jammers
* Two Barlow 23 two speed genoa sheet winches
* Two Barlow 20 halyard winches.
Nicolle Associates offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
* This vessel is VAT paid,.
* As always photographs do not do justice so a viewing is highly recommended.
* This boat is lying at a mooring in the River Deben, Suffolk, England.
* © 2020 Nicolle Associates
...Read full description