Defiance is the 15th and final Marten 49. She was launched in October 2009 for her sea trials in Sydney before being shipped to the USA and was then sailed from Savannah to the British Virgin Islands, where she remained for two and a half years. She was used for light cruising and day sailing around the Virgin Islands during the winters and was laid up ashore in the summers on her own cradle. In May 2012 she was sailed North to Rhode Island to do the early summer racing season and then returned to the British Virgin Islands for the winter 2012/13.
Without question the most up to date and immaculately presented Marten 49 available today.Inventory
NAVIGATION & ELECTRONICS
- B&G H 3000 instruments system with Halcyon 2000 fluxgate compass and vertical masthead wand.
- B&G Autopilot
- Icom 50525w VHF
- i-Pod dock
- 12v/240v switchboard with breakers
- Comar AIS receiver & transmitter
- Simrad NX 40 GPS and Plotter
- External Wifi antenna
- Pepwave Max 700 wifi access point and data source switching unit
- Ericsson W35 3G/GPRS data unit
- Sunto compass at each Helm
- B&G 4x 20/20 displays on mast
- Samsung 17” LCD computer screen
- Nav computer (new 2011)
- Actisense multiplexer
Pots, pans, cutlery, crockery and cooking equipment
Dyson handheld vacuum cleaner
Bed linens, duvet and pillows for all bunks
Towels of various sizes
Various spares and service parts
Custom shipping/storage cradle (located in Tortola)
Nautica 10’ hard bottom dinghy and 15 hp Yamaha outboard
- 1 x Zodiac 6 man valise life rafts
- 1x offshore flare pack
- 2 x Full-length reflective webbing jack stays
- 2 x Cockpit reflective webbing jack stays
- 1 x GME 406 EPIRB
- 5 x fire extinguishers
- 1 x fire blanketBridge
The Marten 49 is a good example of a modern cruiser racer. It was conceived for the owner who wishes to combine the excitement of a performance racing yacht with the ability to make fast comfortable passages whilst cruising. It is differentiated from other yachts in its class by its detailed design, state of the art construction methods and lightweight materials that provide superb performance.
This Marten 49 includes the standard lifting keel for maximum windward performance when racing and reduced draft for accessibility to harbours and anchorages when cruising. The keel lifting is achieved in about 1.5 minutes by a 12 volt hydraulic unit.
The naval architecture is by Reichel/Pugh, the structural design is by SP Technologies and the build is by Azzzura Yachts in Nowra, Australia.
Defiance is the 15th and final Marten 49; she was launched in October 2009 for her sea trials in Sydney before being shipped to the USA and was then sailed from Savannah to the British Virgin Islands, where she remained for two and a half years. She was used for light cruising and day sailing around the Virgin Islands during the winters and was laid up ashore in the summers on her own cradle. In May 2012 she was sailed North to Rhode Island to do the early summer racing season and then returned to the British Virgin Islands for the winter 2012/13. Presently Defiance is out of the water in Nanny Cay Marina, Tortola.
Defiance has only been lightly cruised and has raced four Caribbean regattas and the Onion patch series including the Newport Bermuda race. She is very capable of winning under both IRC and CSA rating rules.
- Carbon fibre SPRINT with cell foam cores. Reinforced at high stress areas with carbon fibre
- Bulkheads, structural frames, longitudinal, and centre case are constructed from carbon SPRINT materials with Core Cell foam core
- Carbon fibre chain plates built into the hull laminate
- The hull is painted with Audi Nimbus metallic gray two-part car paint
-Coach roof and cockpit are painted with Matterhorn white Awlgrip paint
The modern interior is constructed using teak veneers on aluminium honeycomb furniture & bulkheads.
- Double berth 200 x 150cm
- Hanging locker, locker and seat with storage beneath
- Forward of the owners cabin is a head with washbasin, shower and electric toilet.
HEAD / SHOWER
- Second bathroom amidships, includes sea toilet, washbasin and shower
- Both aft cabins have large 200 x 140cm double berths with storage beneath.
- Both aft cabins have a hanging locker with a shelf above and bedside locker.
- 2 x opening portlights into the cockpit, in each cabin.
- Each cabin is fitted with a removable folding pipe cot for racing.
- Both cabins are fitted with split mattresses and centreline lee cloths
- Large L-shaped sofa and dining table that converts into double berth, with the table lowered.
- Removable bench seat on inboard side of table.
- Black carbon companionway steps contoured for ease of use.
- Built in Samsung LA26 flat screen T.V.
- Cushions are made from multi density layers of foam. Beige coloured
- Cream Alcantra type upholstery
- Large linear galley with white Corian marble effect top
- Gimballed FORCE 10 gas 3 burner with oven and broiler
- Moorebank 50 litre front opening refrigerator with stainless steel drawers
- Moorebank 75 litre top opening freezer.
- A stainless steel sink, + mixer tap for hot/cold pressurized water
- Sea water tap at galley sink
- 4 x drawers & overhead cupboards
All deck hatches are fitted with retractable blinds and mosquito screensMachinery
- Teak toe rail forward of the mast
- Teak decking on side decks and in cockpit
- 2 x Genoa tracks with adjustable cars
- 2500mm mainsheet track and car
- Spinlock jammers on halyards, reef and control lines
- Trim lines, mainsheet and halyards led under deck to winches
- All blocks are Harken Black Magic
- 2x custom cockpit cushions with backs
- Primary winches 2 x Harken 3 speed
- Mainsheet winch 2 x Harken B48.2 electric
- Halyard winches 2 x Harken B 48.2 electric
ANCHOR and MOORING EQUIPMENT
- Lewmar rope/chain windlass with foot switches and hand control
- 20m x 8mm anchor chain
- 50m x 14mm anchor warp
- 16 kg Delta anchor
- Fortress collapsible kedge anchor with warp and chain
- Carbon folding anchor arm which launches from the anchor locker
- 6 x Avon inflatable fenders
- 4 x rigid fenders
- Various dock lines
ENGINE & CONTROLS
- 75 HP, 4 Cyl, Yanmar 4JH 4-TE diesel engine with
- Sail drive with Briski 18” 2 blade folding propeller
- Throttle control is adjacent to the stbd. helm station
- Fully accessible engine bay from all sides.
- RMC 6.5 KW swing retracting Bow thruster (totally flush when raised)
- 2 x Bow thruster batteries – under master cabin bunk
- 4 x 185ah service batteries (centre of yacht next to keel)
- 1 x Engine start battery
- 150 amp service alternator and standard engine alternator
- 1 x Mass Combi inverter / charger
- 220 volt shore power electrical system
- 220 volt outlets in all cabins
- 12 volt outlet at Nav desk
- Bose Lifestyle 38 stereo system with surround sound speakers in saloon and cockpit speakers
- Twin wheel steering, carbon 1050mm diameter wheels
- Wire steering cable and composite quadrant.
- Aluminium emergency tiller is provided
- Stainless steel diesel tank, 170 litres with shut off valve (under saloon floor)
- Tank gauges at chart table
- Twin Racor 500MA fuel filters & water separators in engine bay
FRESH WATER SYSTEM
- Hot and cold pressurized water.
- Water tanks with total capacity of 280 litres (under saloon floors)
- Tank gauges at the chart table
- 21-litre / 5.5 US gal hot water tank (80 degrees C) - heated by main engine or via 220v shore power
- Sea Recovery 60 l/16 US gal per hour Ultra whisper 400 12 volt watermaker
- Webasto 24,000 btu chilled water Air conditioning system (all cabins) for shore power use
BLACK WATER SYSTEM
- 75 Litre Polypropylene holding tank for waste from both toilets
- Electric pump for tank discharge or direct overboard diversion
- Heavy duty Hydraulic keel pump (new 2012)
- Two manual bilge pumps
- 3 x electric automatic bilge pumps (individually switched at chart table)
- 2 x electric pumps for draining the shower sumps
- 2 x air-conditioning condensate pumps with float switches
- 1 x electric fresh water pump with accumulator tankRig
- Hall Spars Carbon mast & boom
- Harken twin groove roller furling system
- Independent trysail track
- Aramid backstay
- Steaming light
- Sailing Tricolour masthead light
- Carbon boom with 2 internal reefing lines and outhaul
- Cruising removable varnished centre cockpit table with padded Sunbrella cover
- Carbon retractable bowsprit (1.8 m)
- 1x Enerpak mast jack and rams
- 1 x custom carbon ensign staff
- 1 x gray Sunbrella cockpit dodger
- Fold down transom bathing platform with shower and swimming ladder
- 4 x cockpit tail bags
- 1 x forward hatch wind scoop, custom, gray Sunbrella
- Lazy Jacks for cruising
- Wheel covers, gray sunbrella
- 6 x retractable stainless steel mooring cleats
- 12 x 600 mm stainless steel stanchions
- 2 x aft pushpits with white stern light
- 2 x bow pulpit with red/green nav. lights
- Double 1 x 19 wire lifelines with turnbuckles (with lifeline padding for racing)
- The backstay is adjusted with an integral Navtec hydraulic hand pump
- Mechanically adjusted vang via line purchase system
- All sail adjustment lines lead aft to the cockpitAccommodation
1 x North 3DI Mainsail, summer 2012
1 x North Carbon, Taffeta 3DL fully battened mainsail 2009 (poor condition)
1 x North Carbon 3DL, light/medium #1 2011 (well used)
1 x North Carbon 3DL, medium/heavy #1 2011 (well used)
1 x North 3DI #3, spring 2012, with horizontal or vertical battens for furling use
1 x North Carbon 3DL # 4, 2012, unused
1 x North Storm jib Dac 9.5oz 2009
1 x North Storm Trysail Dac 9.5oz 2009
1 x North masthead A2 spinnaker, gray, with graphics, 2009
1 x North masthead A2 spinnaker, white, summer 2012
1 x North masthead A4 spinnaker, white, spring 2012
1 x North fractional A3 spinnaker, gray, with graphics, 2009
1 x North furling code zero with KZ furler, summer 2012
1 x North furling spinnaker staysail, white, spring 2012
1 x North spinnaker snuffer for cruising use with the fractional A3